Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Red-shouldered Hawk Returns

Back for the Fifth Year in a Row

Red-shouldered Hawk
I was busy in town when I received a text saying, 'Our Red-shouldered Hawk is back!'  I thought I would not have a chance to see it because I could not come directly home.  Fortunately a few minutes after I returned, it flew through the yard perching briefly in a tree out front.  I felt like a friend had returned.  Earlier he had perched in a close tree for about half and hour while he rested and preened.  

Red-shouldered Hawk [M Schneider Photo]
The back of the Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) is distinctive.  Notice the white circles made by the feather edges and the white stripes in the tail.  None of our other hawk species has a pattern on the back like this.  Some have white horizontal streaks or crescents and occasionally the Accipiters (Cooper's, Sharp-shinned, Goshawk) show large white spots on the back when they ruffle their feathers, but even that looks different.  And, they do not have white stripes in their long tails. 

Red-shouldered Hawk [M Schneider Photo]
This is the fifth year in a row we have had a visit from a Red-shouldered Hawk.  In fact, I have been waiting for his visit this year!  Here are the dates of his previous visits (I am assuming this is the same bird, which is quite likely).  
2014 - March 29
2015 - April 6
2016 - March 24
2017 - April 5
2018 - March 28


The video above was taken in 2016 and shows the Red-shouldered Hawk very well.  What a beautiful bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment